Thursday, March 23, 2017

SAVE THE STREET CHILDREN



I wonder why we don’t seem to care
About the ordeal they face while we stare
So I ask, are we really willing to spare
The future right at our obvious glare

I see them in the traffics under the burning sun
Hawking and vending stuffs like having fun
But they are our little daughters and sons
With prospects we need not abandon

You call them street children,
Because they survive on the street
But I call them friends
Because I am myself, a victim

They are found far at sea while others sleep
Some dangle and bangle in the jungle’s deep
And it strikes me like a spear in my belly
Their unchartered cries and sorrows dearly

I have seen it all with my two eyes
I have heard it all with my two ears
As they toil and soil heavily to make a dime
And analyzing, I think their call for help is prime

Must the children fend for themselves?
Can they protect themselves, from the terrors in shelves?
No, I think we should re-tight our belts
Before we witness our dear future melts

Some will be presidents and ministers of state
Some are the heroes and heroines we await
So let’s not close our ears to their plights and pleas
For they are the hopes we must fight to please

Give them the basic needs of life;
Food, shelter and clothing
They deserve basic education;
Primary to secondary
Give them a hand to ease their strife;
In spirit, in body so comforting
They can help our emancipation;
From ordinary to legendary

They have countless holes on their shirts and skirts
And their sorry stories keep lacking happy endings
So here I come with my spoken concepts
Calling out loud for a collective arms lending

For their redemption from pain and sorrows
And for the security of the generation that follows
Let’s ease their struggles and lift their elbows
Without them, the future is but a whining hollow

How can we ever afford to not care
About their daily struggles and pains
To make meanings of each of life’s episodes
While for our mega worries, they have the antidotes

Can’t we? Can’t we join our arms with arms in arms?
To correct what we think was wrong for so long?
And revive the dying hopes dangling on the street
And save the future from the grips of beastly hands

©2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Can I?

How can I?  How can I not be my self?  In a world where I cannot be anyone else?  How can I not do my best?  In a world where I cannot d...