Monday, March 20, 2017

EDUCATION IN AFRICA




So I have been thinking about the African definition of education
The one that is translated into the academic curricular
Which lay the very foundation upon which we base our quest
Our quest to find lasting mechanisms for our good

But I am disappointed every time by the findings
Because there seem to be chaos everywhere but in disguise
And so I am asking the questions they have been masking
Hopefully to unravel the stories still untold in time

What do we intend achieving with the young members of society?
What should we use to drive home this package?
How best can we ensure its efficiency without anxiety?
And is there any hope for those caught in its wreckage?

I think we are the architects of our constant instabilities
Because we have explored to the point of explosion
But we still fail to utilize the most out of our little notions
And we rather end up consumed by our unlimited capabilities

I say this because of what education seems to stand for in Africa
We portray her as the precious bride from the West
But she is just part of the social mainstream
A concept that forms the basis of the thrive of the human family

Education in Africa seems to be asking the wrong questions
Looking at the opposite direction of its supposed focus
By so doing, education in Ghana, Nigeria and other African states
Keep arriving but at the solutions that doesn't solve their problems

Open your mental screens to imagine what am about to tell you
In Africa, the young are taught American and European concepts
Trained to understand how the West and the East collide
But never offered the same level playing ground
As that at the disposal of our foreign counterparts
We are being prepared for a future that is either lost or not in existence
This is because we have different resources to attain our ends
And hence we require different styles of education
If we are going to really be of any returnable use to our societies
Why then do we dominate our systems with foreign priorities?
Are we blinded by our egos so that we sacrifice our future?
For but what we so much value and yet fail to utilize?

Don't tell me it's because of colonialism
That we have come to intrinsically love everything European
What about our undying desires for the American taste?
Did America also colonized us or is it because America was a British colony?

We have minds that reflects and discern on issues
Hearts❤ that are tender and caring to the plight of others
What should it cost us to start thinking upright?
I mean to start believing in the African dream of a better world?

We are promised better incentives after higher education
But we lack the industries that can employ our graduates
Is there a line we are missing from the database?
Or our leaders are simply not telling us the truth?

I mean, I am not against what we import from the West or the East
But we should not deviate from our obvious sense of direction
The fact that we regard foreign education
Shouldn't be the reason we work hard to undermine ours
TBC…

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Can I?

How can I?  How can I not be my self?  In a world where I cannot be anyone else?  How can I not do my best?  In a world where I cannot d...